We are gradually coming to the end of this challenge and I hope you have been thirsting more for the workings of the Holy Spirit in your life. Today we would be looking at the sixth fruit – Goodness.
The greek word “agathosune” is goodness which means an uprightness of heart and life. I don’t even know how best to put my thoughts to words on this topic. It’s no doubt that when we are asked how we are doing, majority of the time, the response is “I am good or we are good.” But can anyone be really good? In Mark 10:18 and Luke 18:19, we see Jesus’ response to the rich Jewish man who addressed Him as “Good Teacher.” His immediate response was that “there is no one good except God alone.” So with that, we can rightly say that Goodness as a Fruit of the Spirit is godliness.
Living a life in God’s likeness. Living a holy life. Pursuing after the things that God approves of. It means Righteousness.
The wondeful thing is that the Holy Spirit of God within us is the one who helps us like holy lives. Of our own effort, we will fail. The Bible tells us that the state of the natural man’s heart is wicked and evil; and the only person who can look into it is God. So if you are wondering why you are struggling to live a holy life even when you are saved, you may want to see if you are completely surrendered to the Holy Spirit and does He have you.
But the fruit of the Spirit [the result of His presence within us] is love [unselfish concern for others], joy, [inner] peace, patience [not the ability to wait, but how we act while waiting], kindness, GOODNESS, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.
As believing wives, we should pursue after holiness, after righteouness, after uprightness. Our moral compass should be to a very high standard that our spouses, our children, our extended family, our friends, our colleagues, our community, our church and others can see Jesus and want to come to know Him. And off course we can’t do this on our own. We can through the Spirirt of God.
I will be giving you scriptures to try and guide you to pray because this is as personal as it gets. Make sure you pray from a place of understanding that it is God’s desire to have you live like Him everday and that’s why He has given you His Holy Spirit to HELP you.
- Never let evil defeat you, but defeat evil with good. – Romans 12:21
- So devote yourselves to lavishly supplementing your faith with goodness, and to goodness add understanding, and to understanding add the strength of self-control, and to self-control add patient endurance, and to patient endurance add godliness, and to godliness add mercy toward your brothers and sisters, and to mercy toward others add unending love. Since these virtues are already planted deep within, and you possess them in abundant supply, they will keep you from being inactive or fruitless in your pursuit of knowing Jesus Christ more intimately. – 2 Peter 1:5-8
- In every relationship be swift to choose peace over competition, and run swiftly toward holiness, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord. – Hebrews 12:14
- People don’t hide a lamp under a bowl. They put it on a lampstand. Then the light shines for everyone in the house. In the same way, you should be a light for other people. Live so that they will see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven. – Matthew 5:15-16
- Let the inner movement of your heart always be to love one another, and never play the role of an actor wearing a mask. Despise evil and embrace everything that is good and virtuous. – Romans 12:9
- Every gift God freely gives us is good and perfect, streaming down from the Father of lights, who shines from the heavens with no hidden shadow or darkness and is never subject to change. – James 1:17
- Blessed is the one whom You choose and bring near to dwell in Your courts. We will be filled with the goodness of Your house, Your holy temple. – Psalm 65:4
Dear God, I know you know my heart. I know you see everything. I know you hear even the most silent thoughts of my heart. Lord, whatever is in my life that though may be little now; but can grow to affect the other fruit within me, Lord do a thorough housecleaning. You don’t need to ask me Lord, You have my permission. Just do as you like Lord until I look just like you.
Have you always struggled with sin? Do you want to stop struggling with sin? Let the Holy Spirit HELP you. That is what He wants to do. He wants you to just give Him access to HELP you.
Thank you beautiful woman for joing in today. God bless you abd see you tomorrow.
All Scriptures are quoted from http://www.biblegateway.com