In Galatians 5:23, Gentleness is mentioned as one of the fruit of the Spirit.
What is gentleness? It is a state where you strip yourself of all judgemental traits. A place of inner peace where you see others the way the Lord sees them. Gentleness is the act of showing love from a place of deep understanding, forgiveness and love.
Why is gentleness important?
Would you want someone to pour fresh pepper on a fresh wound? No, because the wound is painful enough. When you are compassionate and considerate, you become a magnet that draws others to the Christ-likeness in you. You help wounds heal faster; you are like a chilled lemonade on a hot day. Proverbs 15:1,4
But the fruit of the Spirit [the result of His presence within us] is love [unselfish concern for others], joy, [inner] peace, patience [not the ability to wait, but how we act while waiting], kindness, goodness, faithfulness, GENTLENESS, self-control. Against such things there is no law.
How can I be gentle?
- Pause! Do not be hasty to join the angry crowd. Let the Holy Spirit dictate your response at all times.
- Forgive! This removes the tendency to want to “get back”. Forgiveness erases the bitterness on your tongue and fills your heart with love.
- Obey! The Bible has charged us to be clothed with gentleness. (Colossians 3:12-17) Obedience brings a blessing
- Lord we thank you for day 10. It is by your grace that we have tarried in the place of prayer.
- Lord, open my eyes to see how important it is to be gentle. To see how much of you I would reflect with this fruit of the Spirit.
- Lord, I ask for a heart full of love for myself and others. I know I cannot give what I do not have. I also know that without love, it is impossible to be gentle to others.
A soothing tongue [speaking words that build up and encourage] is a tree of life, but a perversive tongue [speaking words that overwhelm and depress] crushes the spirit. – Proverbs 15:4
- Lord, I ask for a gentle tongue that will bring healing to nations. Let gentleness be heard each time I open my mouth.
- Lord, I pray for those who try to make it difficult for me to exhibit gentleness. May they have a memorable encounter with you that will lead to the redemption of their souls.
- Lord, may I not mistake gentleness for a license to condole sin. May I be gentle and yet bold to speak against evil like Jesus, my perfect example.
- Lord I am grateful for the time spent in your presence. I believe that my prayers have all been answered. I have a new spirit and renewed strength to be gentle in this toxic world. Thank you Father, in Jesus name l pray. Amen
Thank you all for joining us to pray today.